<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Sunday, March 14, 2004

Being connected 


I don't know about you, but I vaguely remember what it was like not to have a computer as little as 10 years ago. Now I don't know what I would do without it. It keeps me connected to lots of helpful information and it assists me in producing this site, my biggest pleasure in life next to my family and friends.

Ever since we've had computers in our family and traded up and traded up again for more memory or a bigger hard drive or a fancier keyboard, we've been stumped on exactly what to do with the preceding models. Previously we've shared them with family members who didn't have a computer, but now that we are planning to trade up again what do we do with the three we currently have?

My husband and I have both been very concerned with the impact to the environment since these products contain materials such as lead, mercury, cadmium, and nickel, to name a few. Well, I was reading my latest copy of Better Homes and Gardens (I LOVE this magazine) and there was an article entitled "New Life for Old Tech". It speaks to the exact issue with which my husband and I have been struggling and provides some solutions. Apparently many major computer manufacturers and sellers have started collecting old computers and printers to promote recycling. Companies such as Dell and Hewlett Packard have online programs for recycling and trade-in. Sellers such as Best Buy have special collection weekends allowing drop off of old computers as well as TVs and VCRs. It appears that all the programs mentioned have a small fee involved, but it's worth it to preserve the environment. There are also a few non-profits who will gladly accept the old electronics and refurbish them for resale.

To learn more, pick up the April issue of Better Homes and Gardens. Happy Gardening and thanks for considering recycling.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

back to top

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?