<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Tuesday, March 23, 2004

I am refreshed 


I LOVE being in my garden. There is nothing more enlivening for me than the first time I can start working in the fresh air. I finally got out this Saturday for the first time since early fall. Now, you may laugh to yourself and say hey, girlfriend, you live in Florida. Why haven’t you been out all winter? Well, let me tell you.

When one lives in Florida, one’s blood does thin. When I lived up north and would vacation here, I would laugh at the “natives” all wrapped up in their sweats. I have learned from experience that everyone adapts to his or her environment. Consequently even though temperatures here are higher generally than elsewhere in the winter, I’m still wrapped up in sweats sans mittens or coats. And spend more time indoors in the cooler months. I never thought I would confess that, but just keep it under your hat.

Anyway, back to my story. So, Saturday was the first real day I was working in the yard and boy did I feel it. I was cleaning debris from all the construction stuff and trimming grass, etc. I got tired out pretty quickly and settled for spending the afternoon sitting by the pool (don’t you feel sorry for me?). Sunday, my stamina was a bit better and allowed me to work a few more hours until the backyard was much more orderly. It’s now a lovely bare canvas for me to begin planning my wildflower and native plant garden down to the water’s edge.

The reason I share all of this is because I’m sitting here Tuesday night and still feeling the “high” from my first real weekend communing with nature. It is what I need to be connected to something greater than I that makes life so worthwhile. The coming weekend promises to be more clearing and planning, but I’m ready for it. And I can definitely say I will not be wearing my sweats! Happy Gardening.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

back to top

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?