<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Monday, April 26, 2004

The zen of gardening 

Gardening is a form of meditation for me. Whenever I have the chance to get my fingers in the soil, I am transported into my “inner person”. I never really looked at it in that way until I started thinking about yoga.

My husband and I are considering taking a yoga class. It will be good for both of us since it practices a lot of stretching and balance-type exercises in a low impact environment. Well, we were watching a yoga instructor on TV the other morning and toward the last of her lesson she stressed the importance of ending with meditation. So, I got thinking of gardening.

Gardening is very much like yoga in many ways. It promotes stretching and flexibility. The balance thing is definitely one that challenges me, especially when I’m trying not to step on something or fall into the pool while doing so. And, finally, the meditation part. I don’t know about you, but I really lose myself when I’m working in the garden. I move the soil, pull weeds, redistribute plants where they may thrive better, water, mulch, etc. You all do the same. What I’ve learned is that I will go outside in the morning, and the next thing I know it’s noon. And the best part is, I’ve solved any problems I may have been stewing about. Or I’ve come up with a good idea for a new garden spot. Or I’ve just thoroughly enjoyed what I’ve been doing and that’s all I’ve been thinking about.

So any way you slice it, it feels like yoga and meditation to me. Let me know what you think. Happy Gardening and enjoy exploring your inner self next time you’re in the garden.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

back to top

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?