<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
Garden's GiftTips Plant Resources Garden Info Garden Accessories Florida Gardening Links www

Monday, April 05, 2004

A rose by any other name... 

One of the best performing plants in my garden is periwinkle. It loves the heat and even when it’s gasping for water, continues to flower remarkably well. The best part about this annual is that it self-seeds. So even if I lose a plant or two, there are always more coming up to take its place.

Now, I have a running game with my mother about this great little plant. She refers to them as vincas, which is actually their latin name. I always refer to them as periwinkle, so she claims she doesn’t know what I’m talking about. But she does.

Periwinkle, or vinca rosea, grows in full sun or partial shade anywhere from 6 to 24 inches in height. I keep my plants bushier by trimming them periodically. It forces leaves out on the lower stems and keeps the plant from looking spindly. It also assists with heavier blooming. Vinca blooms in a multitude of colors from various shades of pink to white to purple. Try them in your garden. And, if you see my mother, call them periwinkles. It will make her chuckle. Happy Gardening.

Comments: Post a Comment
Site Meter Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Thanks to Andrew Stenning who contributed the photograph for our masthead

back to top

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?